Friday, April 30, 2010

May Day's Eve

You must take a candle," she instructed, "and go into a room that is dark and that has a mirror in it and you must be alone in the room. Go up to the mirror and close your eyes and say: Mirror, mirror, show to me him whose woman I will be. If all goes right, just above your left shoulder will appear the face of the man you will marry."
---Nick Joaquin, "May Day's Eve"
 
 
It is May again. In ancient times, summer began on Beltane (May 1st) and ended on Lughnasadh (August 1st).
 
They say the first night of May is a night of divination, of romance and lovers, and those who are curious may peek into a mirror at midnight and see the face of whoever it was they were fated to marry.

What is left of the boy I saw on a warm night so many summers ago?

Hello NC, my 30-year old friend.
I hope the years have been kind to you. Some birthdays are happier, some sadder, but I hope each one will be meaningful.

Remember this day, for you will never get it back. Like many things in life, youth, alas, is so fleeting.

Love, as always,
Kane



"I heard you cry for a distant love who will never come back
I saw your face in a flood of tears, your eyes so empty
But now hear me, I know you never want to hurt me
I know you can't resist it, in your dreams you taste my lips

And somewhere in the deepest part of your dream
At the edge of this mountain
We just close our eyes and breathe

'cause somewhere in the deepest part of my dream
At the edge of this mountain
We just close our eyes and breathe"
NC wrote back.
You say the most beautiful things Kane. And I love you for that.


NC celebrated his birthday by filing for divorce from his husband. They were married for three years.

5 comments:

Kiks said...

I hope he loved/s you not only for what you say or write.

yun lang. :-D

Yas Jayson said...

May has always a special place in my heart.

happy thoughts, kane. happy thoughts. :)

rudeboy said...

Dammit, Kane, you beat me to May Day's Eve!

Grrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhh >:/

gillboard said...

wasn't that story tragic? or sad...

Yj said...

May sometimes come some other time of the year.... :)